Welcome to Security in-a-Box Community Focus: digital security tools and tactics for the LGBTI community in sub-Saharan Africa.
Security in-a-box is a collaborative effort of the Tactical Technology Collective and Front Line Defenders. It was created to meet the digital security and privacy needs of advocates and human rights defenders. Security in-a-box includes a How-to Booklet, which addresses a number of important digital security issues. It also provides a collection of Hands-on Guides, each of which includes a particular freeware or open source software tool, as well as instructions on how you can use that tool to secure your computer, protect your information or maintain the privacy of your Internet communication.
This Community Focus edition is part of a series of guides which aim to further integrate digital security into the context of particular communities and human rights defenders. This edition was created in particular for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans* and Intersex individuals and human rights defenders in the sub-Saharan region in Africa. It was preceded by a similar guide for the Arabic-speaking LGBTI community, and includes some of the same content. Both guides were written in collaboration with human rights defenders from the community.
The guide includes:
Part I - Context
- Digital attacks against the African LGBTI community
- How to assess your digital security risk
Part II - How-to Booklet
- How to protect your computer from malware and hackers
- How to protect your information from physical threats
- How to create and maintain secure passwords
- How to protect the sensitive files on your computer
- How to recover from information loss
- How to remove hidden metadata from files
- How to destroy sensitive information
- How to keep your Internet communication private
- How to remain anonymous and bypass censorship on the internet
- How to protect yourself and your data when using social networking sites
- How to protect yourself and your data when using LGBTI dating sites
- How to use mobile phones as securely as possible
- How to use smartphones as securely as possible
- How to use Internet Cafés as securely as possible